Jesus in the Wildflowers


Today I spent some time at one of my favorite places to get away.  It’s actually in the city limits of Goshen, but it’s an awesome place to get away and be with Jesus.  Pathways Retreat Center has 10 acres of woods, a loop of walking trails, a wildflower meadow, and a small cottage for personal retreats.  I spent most of the day wandering the paths, enjoying the songs of the birds, and soaking in the presence of Jesus.

I love to sit on the edge of the wildflower meadow and listen to God.  It’s filled with yellow, purple, and white wildflowers and bordered with tall, sturdy Pine trees.  I can sit there and soak in the presence of God in nature for hours.  Today as I was watching and listening, I noticed all kinds of bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds feeding on the nectar of the flowers.  It was fun watching bumble bees and sweat bees buzz from one flower to the next for a sweet meal.  Then a hummingbird would come flapping in and hover from one flower to the next feeding away.  Up next were all the butterflies flitting here and there sucking the sweetness of the flowers.

As I watched them, I was struck by the importance of coming to Jesus for food.  Moses and Jesus both told us that man does not live by bread alone. (Deuteronomy 8:3 & Matthew 4:3-5)  Jesus’ food nourishes us and strengthens us.  We can’t truly live without it.  I had just read Psalm 34:8 earlier in the morning, “Taste and see that the Lord is good.”  And I was “seeing” that the Lord really is good.  But I also was struck by how many different bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds were all there together feeding on the flowers.  It made me think of the church and our need to feed on God and His word together even if we are all different.   Imagine the beauty and power of a group of believers who are committed to feeding themselves on the Words of God.  Imagine that group has the life of Jesus formed into them not just for themselves but for the glory of God, for the abundance of our own lives, and for the sake of others.   I think that would be a magnetic group that would be fulfilling God’s mission for His church!

Where are you getting the food that your soul needs?  How are you feeding on the sweetness and goodness of God and Jesus, the Word?   

Leave a comment on my Facebook page.

P.S. – I discovered a great new way to enjoy reading the Bible today.  I can’t believe I hadn’t one this before.  I spent time reading it out loud.  First as I walked in circles in the cottage and then for awhile as I walked the trails.  Thankfully I didn’t trip!  Passages came alive as I read them.  I spent time in Matthew 11;28-30, Romans 8 & 12, 1 Corinthians 13, Philippians 2 & 3, 2 Timothy 3, 1 Peter 5, 2 Peter 3, and Psalm 34.  Give it a try! 

Popular Posts