A Dream to Live and Die for . . .

During my first two weeks off, I encountered the concept of dreams often.  During U2’s concert, lead singer, Bono, commented about the band’s love for our country America.  He also said the band loved their homeland, Ireland.  And he went on to say, “America is more than a country.  America is a dream!  A dream for freedom."

While in Washington D.C. we were able to see the almost finished memorial for Martin Luther King Jr. and we stood in the spot where he gave his famous, I Have a Dream speech.  I also came across this quote from one of his speeches in Detroit – 1963 - I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

So I started wondering, what are the dreams I have that I am willing to die for?  And what are the dreams you have that you are willing to die for?   And how do those dreams mesh with God’s kingdom dream for our world and our lives?  If I’m honest, I have a hard time comprehending anything to die for because I can only think of one moment in my life when I was staring death in the face.  In the USA, we don’t live in a life or death world, so it’s hard to comprehend what we would literally die for.

There is a death though that all of us can participate in every day and it happens by being with Jesus.   Jesus has given us a kingdom dream to die for.  He tells us that when we die to ourselves we end up living His life – Matthew 16:25.  When we live His life, God’s Kingdom of love, peace, joy, and justice become more of a reality in our world.  

That’s a dream to die for.  I want my old sinful self to die so Jesus can live in me.  This is how Galatians 2:20 puts it, I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  Romans 8:13 says this, For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

This process of dying to ourselves happens as we spend time with Jesus.  What I really love about Jesus’ kingdom dream is this: this process ultimately is what leads to real life – real living.   I want to be with Jesus so I can die to myself and really live.  God’s kingdom dream is one to live and die for!

Popular Posts