The Significance of Friendships


I just finished watching, It’s a Wonderful Life.  Our small group went to watch it on the big screen at the newly renovated Lerner Theater in Elkhart.  What a wonderful job they did with the renovation.  The theater is absolutely beautiful.  I commented to several friends that it felt like it belonged in a big city.  But I digress.

I love the movie, It’s a Wonderful Life.  I love sitting down in front of the TV with my family and watching that black and white classic.  But I found watching it on the big screen in a packed house to be a deeply moving experience.  The audience reaction changed the feel of the movie for me.  I found myself relating to George Bailey in deeper ways than I ever had before.  The tears started flowing at the end of the movie.

I was really struck by Clarence’s inscription of advice in the book he gives to George as a gift:  Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends.  That’s so true.  And then George’s brother summed it up well:  To George Bailey, the richest man in town.  I was reminded of how rich and successful my life is because of all the amazing relationships I have.  

As we drove home, I was reflecting on the desire I have to see my friendships go deeper and become richer.  That only comes with intentionality.  I’m going to reflect on how that I might be more intentional about my friendships moving forward.  I’ll start tonight.  As I drift off to sleep, I’m going to intentionally say thank you too God for all the great friends He has blessed me with over the years.  I’m going to thank Him for the great family He’s given me.  And I’m going to thank Him for the my Beth.  She’s the Mary of my life, and I’m blessed beyond my wildest  dreams.

Popular Posts